Skip to content

Fractured

September 23, 2011

Silly me. I fractured my face and my elbow.

After much joking around with my husband about the dangers of me biking after several years not, I managed to flip my bike first day out. It wasn’t that I’d forgotten how to ride, it’s that riding felt so good I got a bit reckless. At least I was wearing a helmet.

As I sit and heal, things in this space will be quiet. It’s amazing how much I rely on two functioning arms to do most of the things I love.

What’s the most ridiculous injury you’ve ever incurred?

10 Comments leave one →
  1. Patti Mason permalink
    September 23, 2011 9:10 am

Oh Claire,
    Please rest up and heal. Glad you had a helmet on.
    Best wishes for a quick recovery.

• Claire permalink
      September 23, 2011 4:04 pm

Thank you! I’m feeling better already!

2. September 23, 2011 9:46 am

Ohh..the irony! You needed a break anyways. Rest up!

• Claire permalink
      September 23, 2011 4:06 pm

I know. This forced relaxation is pretty great, even if I am waaaay behind at work now.

3. September 23, 2011 2:11 pm

Almost the same exact thing happened to me in High School. Except I was getting a piggy back ride from my boyfriend when he got scared by a limb in the road and slammed on the brakes. I wish I could find the picture. Same facial scab and everything.

• Claire permalink
      September 23, 2011 4:07 pm

Fantastic. And now I have hope for my face b/c yours looks great now 🙂

4. maryannk permalink
    September 24, 2011 9:47 am

Um, I rode smack into a tree when I was first learning to ride a bike and got a scrape. 🙁 But the worst silly injury I got was dislocating my knee while tap-dancing. Twice. (A year apart) I still don’t know how… something about a shimmy-shake gone wrong or whatever.

Feel better! 🙂

• Claire permalink
      September 25, 2011 10:52 pm

That is some serious tapping 🙂

5. Mauria permalink
    September 25, 2011 6:27 pm

Well, it wasn’t on a bike, but equally embarrassing. My husband and I were leaving Broadripple (I think I was 22 at the time, premarraige, kids, etc), and we were walking down the sidewalk, more than a little drunk. I saw some girl jump on a guys back, so I thought hey! Why not?, I jumped on Kenney’s back for a piggy back ride, he tried to catch me but instead I went right over his head and landed on my head and shoulder. Because of the alcohol in my system, it was bleeding like crazy and then later got infected. I still have the scar, and my brother will never let me live it down. Glad your feeling better Claire!

• Claire permalink
      September 25, 2011 10:59 pm

I have a feeling that’s a pretty common injury between the ages of 18 and 22. I had a few friends who did the exact same thing in college. Somethings about drunken piggy back rides are just so appealing 🙂

I’m glad other people have stories. Thanks, Mauria.