Skip to content

New Look Skirt 6899

May 21, 2013

I have entirely too many skirts, but I didn’t come to this realization before I cut into my most recent project: New Look Skirt 6899. I used Anna Maria Horner’s Little Folks collection in Village Path, Berry. It has such a great, light weight to it and the hand is so silky. It’s a big step up in the fabric I typically use for skirts. Also, I’m digging that I finally got around to making a skirt with pockets and a properly installed invisible zipper. I know I really should be well past marveling at simple things like zippers and pockets, but I take such long breaks between projects that I start over a little each time I sew.

New Look Skirt Pocket

[above] Detail of the waistband and pocket.

New Look skirt seam

[above] Detail of the hem and seams, which I actually took the time to finish.

Even though I like this skirt I’m not in love with it. I have this problem a lot. I fall in love with busy fabric, search for the perfect project, and then realize that there isn’t a perfect project because I don’t wear busy fabric well. So then I end up making a skirt with it so that the pattern is far away from my face. I guess I could always use my busy fabric to make some harem pants or something, but for the sake of my pride and marriage I won’t. I’ll just stick to skirts.

So, now I have a new skirt that I like but don’t love, and clearly I don’t have a shirt that pairs well with it. My question to you is: What would you wear with this skirt? I need some help on this.

New Look skirt

Be Sociable, Share!
7 Comments leave one →
  1. Patsy permalink
    May 21, 2013 9:56 am

ummm. I don’t know what top without shopping. :-) But you look gorgeous in that gray tee and that luscious thick hair. So what kind of top? I think maybe white same style, and white thin strap sandals?? I am NOT a fashion guru, I cry for help every morning I dress! Anxious to see other’s suggestions. I’m sure they will have some great ideas, Claire.

2. Patsy permalink
    May 21, 2013 9:57 am

Another idea, cuz I’ve struggled with this with skirts… maybe a longer look or a shorter look???

• Claire permalink*
      May 22, 2013 10:12 pm

Thanks, Patsy! I think white or cream could work for sure. This skirt pattern came with a shirt pattern. Maybe I’ll try to make that in a coordinating color.

3. May 23, 2013 8:09 am

I was also thinking a cream/white shirt. I would probably where a light shear one over a tank top because I couldn’t pull off JUST the tank. I do love that lilac-y color in the skirt though, would be nice with a tank that color. Very pretty. I hadn’t worn a skirt in quite some time…and was so excited to put one on to go into school yesterday. Yay skirts!

• Claire permalink*
      May 27, 2013 10:56 am

See. I like where you went with the sheer top over a tank. The more I look at my wardrobe, the more I realize many of my shirts are sheer — none that would match this skirt, but I’m going to work on that. Also, yes, yay to skirts!

4. May 23, 2013 6:29 pm

I say go bold, go brave, go red! Or maybe a white t-shirt or tank with a heavy knit red shrug or cardigan (not heavy warm, just chunky yarn if that makes sense). I like Erin’s idea of a sheer top over a tank. I’m sure your weather is much too hot to be considering layers, but that’s what I’d do. But I’m also not one that knows fashion too well, so take it with a grain of salt! Love the skirt, though – so flowy and fun. You are gorgeous! :)

• Claire permalink*
      May 27, 2013 10:59 am

This makes me want to run over to Mass Ave Knit Shop and get some super lightweight, yet chunky, cotton yarn to make a little cropped sweater. My proportions in my wardrobe are all wrong this summer. There is no balance — my tops are all too long. Now that you’ve mentioned a lightweight chunky sweater I kind of need to have it. Thanks, Maryann!